Heating and air conditioning account for up to 50% of the energy you use at home. A properly installed and maintained heating and cooling system can reduce your energy use, improve comfort and help you save money. If your home has multiple high-efficiency systems, you could save even more!
Why choose ENERGY STAR certified heating and cooling?
- Proven technology: It offers an ultra-efficient alternative to traditional heating and cooling equipment.
- Energy savings: ENERGY STAR certified HVAC equipment is at least 5%–45% more energy efficient than standard heating and cooling systems and can yield annual energy bill savings of 10%–30%, meaning you’ll save energy and money year after year.
- Comfort: These systems provide excellent “zone” space conditioning, so you can control the level of heating or cooling in different rooms or zones in your home.
- Return on investment: Depending on where you live, replacing your old heating and cooling equipment with ENERGY STAR certified equipment can cut your annual energy bill by more than $115.*
- Environmental protection: Choosing energy-efficient products and simple energy-saving practices reduces the amount of carbon pollution. If just 1 in 10 households bought heating and cooling equipment that had earned the ENERGY STAR label, we would prevent 13 billion pounds of greenhouse gas emissions—equal to the emissions of 1.2 million cars—every year.*
If your HVAC equipment is more than 5 years old, consider getting an HVAC Tune-up to help optimize your system, available at no additional cost! If your equipment is more than 10 years old, it's time to to learn more about how to select an HVAC contractor and explore upgrading to one of these ENERGY STAR certified options:
ENERGY STAR Certified Air Conditioners
ENERGY STAR certified central air conditioners use 8% less energy than conventional models, and upgrading your old unit could cut your cooling costs.
ENERGY STAR Certified Geothermal Heat Pumps
Geothermal systems are a highly efficient alternative to traditional heating and cooling equipment and are at least 45% more energy efficient than standard heating and cooling systems. They use the temperature of the ground instead of the outside air to provide heating and air conditioning to your home. Because they have relatively few moving parts that are sheltered indoors, they are durable and highly reliable, often lasting 20 years or more. Depending on factors such as climate and system features, as well as available financing and tax credits, you may be able to get back your initial investment through lower utility costs in as little as two years.*
ENERGY STAR Certified Air Source Heat Pumps
Electric air-source heat pumps move heat between the inside and outside to keep your home a comfortable temperature year-round. ENERGY STAR certified models are more efficient in both heating and cooling than standard models. In fact, they are likely to be at least 20% more efficient than what you have in your home now.
ENERY STAR Certified Ductless Heating and Cooling Systems
This highly efficient technology delivers warm or cool air directly into different zones or rooms of your home. Because it requires no ducts, it avoids the energy loss—which can be as high as 20%—associated with ductwork in central forced air systems.
High Efficiency HVAC Equipment:
|Equipment (AHRI RATED)||Efficiency Level|
|Air Source Heat Pump (Tier 1)||≥ 16 SEER, ≥ 12.50 EER, ≥ 9 HSPF|
|Air Source Heat Pump (Tier 2)||≥ 18 SEER, ≥ 12.50 EER, ≥ 9.5 HSPF|
|Central Air Conditioner (Tier 1)||≥ 16 SEER and ≥ 12.50 EER|
|Central Air Conditioner (Tier 2)||≥ 18 SEER and ≥ 12.50 EER|
|Ductless Mini Split Heat Pump||≥ 18 SEER, ≥ 12.5 EER, ≥ 9 HSPF|
|Multi Zone Ductless Mini Split Heat Pump||≥ 15.5 SEER and ≥ 12.5 EER and ≥8.6 HSPF|
|Geothermal Heat Pump||≥ 17.1 EER and ≥ 3.6 COP|
|Smart Thermostat||Qualifying ENERGY STAR® Certified Models|
SEER = Seasonal Energy Efficiency Rating, EER = Energy Efficiency Rating, HSPF = Heating Seasonal Performance Factor, AFUE = Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency, ECM = Electronically Commutated Motor, COP = Coefficient of Performance.
Take advantage of these incentives!
- Grants up to $3,000 for the installation of new geothermal systems (not applicable for the replacement of existing geothermal systems) from the Maryland Energy Administration. Grant funding is limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- You may be eligible for federal tax credits up to 22% through December 31, 2022.
- Click here to learn about The Maryland Clean Energy Advantage Loan Program, financing available at 0% interest for 12 months.
- Systems installed after January 1, 2013, are eligible to receive renewable energy credits.
- Some counties and municipalities offer additional incentives. Learn more.
Are you an HVAC Contractor looking for incentives to pass on to your customers?
Click here to begin your verification process and complete our short survey.